Best Memorial Day Sales
This year it’s a very different Memorial Day Weekend across the US as we continue to shelter in place in most US states to try to slow the spread of COVID-19. What’s on our list of to-dos? Mostly plenty of doing nothing, including a bit of cooking, movies and a look at online shopping. With the exception of grocery shopping, I haven’t been doing any retail shopping. I haven’t been paying that much attention to the sales, other than to see the disturbing headlines about how retailers are suffering and some are declaring bankruptcy, like J. Crew and Neiman-Marcus.
If you’ve been reading here, I haven’t been posting much on sales since the COVID-19 pandemic started During this time, any talk of sales or fashion has seemed ridiculous. However, I thought it might be worthwhile to post a bit about the Memorial Days sales happening this weekend and mostly likely all week long. I sense many of my readers are eager for a bit of a distraction and would like to browse the sales, to at least what is on offer. Some of use are still needing a few home goods, baking supplies or hoping to be able to go out soon, and want to check out the deals on fashion apparel.
Some Apparel Items Selling During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Pajamas
Believe it or not, some items are selling better than ever sales during the pandemic. Certain items of apparel are still selling, and even increasing in sales like pajamas and leisure wear.
For those of us who are now working exclusively from home via Zoom and other tech tools, being comfortable is more important than ever. According to data from Adobe Analytics, pajamas sales increased 143% in April compared with March! In contrast, sales of pants are down. Who need new pants when you can just add a nice top to your sweat pants or pajama bottoms for a Zoom call or a quick Face Time meeting? Comfortable “stay at home wear” is the new fashion trend.
The good news for the economy is that online sales are up. The Adobe Analytics data shows that:
U.S. e-commerce sales have been up an average of about 49% daily, according to Adobe, from April 1 to April 23 compared with a baseline period of March 1 to March 11
With online shopping at a peak, let’s take a look at this year’s Memorial Day sales. Some of these sales really do offer great savings. Others are just “sale promotions” with little or no real value, because the stuff the retailers are selling is just plain junk. As time goes on, I’m getting more and more selective about the sales I want to spend time at or even look at. For example, it’s been ages since I saw great value at outlet stores. Most things there look like merchandise that designers license their names to, that have little or no resemblance to the designer’s main line. For value on designer fashions, I prefer sales at Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus Last Call or Saks Fifth Avenue. For fast fashion, I shop at ASOS, H&M and Topshop at Nordstrom. Here’s The Recessionista’s short list of the Memorial Day sales that are value for price.
Memorial Day 2020 Fashion Sales
- ANTHROPOLOGIE: Extra 40% off all sale items
- ASOS : 20% OFF at ASOS. I already shopped this sale and picked up my favorite ASOS Pencil Dress for just $18.00, reduced from $80.00.
- BARNEYS at SAKS FIFTH AVENUE: Savings up to 50% off at this luxury retailer Barney’s New York.
- Bloomingdales: Big Brown Bag Sale + Extra 20% off select Sale and Clearance.
- FREE PEOPLE: Save 20% off select FREE PEOPLE merchandise in-stores and online.
- FRENCH CONNECTION: 50% OFF at French Connection.
- H&M: Take up to 60 percent off sale items in H&M stores and online. Plus special $5 Memorial Deals. We’re big fans of their vintage inspired dresses and swimsuits.
- JCREW: Everything at JCrew online is now 60% off. The company has declared bankruptcy and slashed prices, although I think even with the sale discounts many of the offerings are still overpriced.
- JCPENNEY: With JCP closings stores, there are big savings (30% +) throughout JCP online on their fashion collaborations, beauty products and Home collections.
- JOHNNY WAS: This boho-chic Los Angeles brand is offering a 75% off summer kick-off sale. The sale is online and you may have to wait a few minutes online to enter, but there are definitely some great tops, scarves and floral pants on the sale.
- KAREN KANE Memorial Day Weekend SALE: Additional 25% Off Markdowns. Use Code : LongWeekend
- LAST CALL: Extra 55 % OFF at Neiman Marcus Last Call Stores.
- MODCLOTH: Extra 40% off at Modcloth on dresses, swimwear & other apparel. We love their vintage inspired styles!
- Neiman Marcus: The luxury retailer is offering major discounts with discounts as low as 50 to 60% off apparel, shoes, handbags and more. For a limited time, Neiman Marcus shoppers can save $50.00 off a purchase of $200.00
- NORDSTROM: 40% OFF at Nordstrom on select items. Select Nordstrom stores are now open AZ, CO, FL, GA, KS, NC, NV, OH, TN, TX & UT, however, I think online shopping is the way to go right now.
- NORDSTROM Rack- clear the racks sale is on at Nordstrom Rack offering up to 75% off with an extra 25% off clearance in-store and online.
- Rachel Zoe’s contemporary fashion brand includes ready to wear, shoes & accessories that cater to the savvy, fashion-minded, modern woman. Save 30-60% off for Memorial Day on select Rachael Zoe resort styles, select Spring styles now 30% off. Rachel Zoe is now offering face masks for sale as well as apparel. I own a few Rachel Zoe tops and love her floral prints and mix of vintage styles. I’ve found the fit to be surprisingly good.
- SAKS FIFTH AVENUE: Save 55% off top women’s designers. Some of the best names in fashion are at affordable prices at SAKS this weekend.
- SHOPBOP: Quite simply, I love this online fashion site. They have everything and they have great sales. I’ve bought some gorgeous dress at SHOPBOP and a gorgeous Ferragamo handbag–all on sale. For Memorial Day, save up to 70% off select items.
- The OUTNET: the online The Outnet site is offering an extra 30% off designer clothing, handbags and shoes. It’s always a challenge finding the right size at The OUTNET, because things go quick. So be prepared to get in early to get the deals.
- TIBI Get up to 50% off at the TIBI end of Season Sale. We’re in love with the sleeves on the TIBI tops and dresses, aren’t you?:)
- UNIQLO: Savings throughout the UNIQLO store and online. Ines De La Fressange fashions, JW Andersen & Marimekko are on clearance, discounts on Tees & clearance items. Free shipping is offered on all orders.
Beyond Fashion: Sales on Furniture, Home Goods and Cooking Items
- Pier-1 Imports has announced that they are going out of business. All items are supposed to be 30% off, but if you look at the prices, I don’t think that everything is marketed down 30% – at least not yet. All sales are final, so shop carefully. Apparently select stores are open as well, check the Pier 1 website for details. If you see something you like, book mark it and keep checking back on the price as I predict prices will be further slashed to sell all the inventory.
- KOHL’s is offering deep discounts site-wide, from comfortable clothing (T-shirts, workout wear, bras, pajamas) to the Food Network cookware to home furnishings.
- Macy’s is having great sales on everything on their website. For those of us doing more cooking at home than we have done for years, there are some great deals on cookware, furnishings and home goods.
Sales on Beauty and Skincare Products
- ELEMIS Skincare: ELEMIS is having a great memorial day sale. Buy 2 products and get 1 Free on Full-Size Favorites, All Weekend Long. Use Code: MEMORIALDAY. I’ve been using the lavender scented ELEMIS Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm for years with great results.
- Radical Skincare: I’ve always been a big fan of Radical Skincare and their products. During shelter in place, I’ve fallen in love with Radical age defying exfoliating pads The pads offer a great way to gently wipe away dead skin and and reduce inflammation. The Hydrating Cleanser and Moisturizing Serums are also gentle ways to nurture your skin at home.
- Skyn ICELAND offers skincare solutions to combat and treat the damage caused by stress. Its high performance skincare system of products brings instant relief, immediate results and long term benefits. All Skyn ICELAND products are certified cruelty free by PETA, 100% healthy and vegan. For Memorial Day customers receive 25% on ALL Skyn Iceland products. Offer is valid until May 28th at 11:59PST.